Thursday, January 25, 2007

In Garthe's Hands #5

January 25, 2007



In Garthe's Hands #5



What to cover, what to cover....there's still so much. In my last episode I jumped in to the wild and crazy world of multi-point hands with the two kinds of flushes. I was debating jumping into the total absolute lunacy of "complete hands" which give more points than anything you've ever imagined and which would have included my absolute favoritest of hands. But I think first I'll take a step back to some hands which are related, but which will figure more prominently in your hand repertoire. These hands are not the most most mostest of points, but will often play a part in hands which eventually add up to a lot of points.






All Triples: 2 Hand Points


First, we'll start with "All triples", known as "Toitoi" in Japanese. Not a lot of trickery involved in the name here, it is sort of just the opposite of Peace. If you remember, Peace is all runs plus the head. All Triples is just that, 4 triples, plus a head. Bumping is allowed and it doesn't change the value of the hand at all.



By itself as a two pointer, it is indeed pretty cheap, and hardly worth the trouble. However, you'll find that the times you tend to use it will be when you have pairs of value tiles which can add to your hand points as you bump them, or also when one of your pairs is the Lucky Dragons. This will turn the otherwise probably 2600 points or so, into 8000. It's a pretty straightforward hand so there's not a lot to explain. Just remember that to make it really worthwhile, you'll probably want to have a couple Value Tiles groups or Lucky Dragons. Half flush also works in nicely with this hand to give you a surprisingly large number of points, if you can pull it off.






7 Pairs (All Pairs): 2 Hand Points


Our second hand for today is "7 Pairs" (the Japanese is Chiitoitsu) and represents a bit of a departure from the traditional hands that we've talked about so far. All of the examples I've given until now have had the same basic format: 4 groups of 3 tiles in triples or runs, plus a two tile head. This hand is nothing like that in that it's 7 groups of 2 tile pairs, or 7 heads, if you will. It's a bit of a wild card in the Mahjong group of hands, and it can often be a cool trick because it's difficult for other players to figure out what you're doing.



Of course, because there is no mechanism for "bumping" pairs, this hand will always be concealed. Also, because of it's structure, your wait will always be a singleton in your hand waiting for it's twin to complete the pair. Because you can choose any tile to be this last remaining pair to complete, you'll want to choose something that seems likely to come out, especially if you're going to declare Reach. For example, a good choice would be a 1 in a suit in which you've thrown away a 4 (players will think that because of the 4, you don't have 2-3 waiting for the 1 or 4 so that the 4 must be safe and they throw your winner). Honor tiles are also good in this situation because they are generally useless unless someone can make a triple with them. Because of this fact, players will often save them as "safe" tiles to throw when someone declares Reach. 7 pairs can also be combined with a number of other hands including Simples, Full or Half Flush and of course, Reach and Self-concealed draw. So even though the hand by itself is only worth 2 hand points (1600 or 2400 real points), it can quickly become an 8000 or even 12000 point hand if combined with other hands.





The reason I present these hands together today, is that I often find that I'll be shooting for one and then by accident I will get the other. For example, on the way getting all triples, you'll have been collecting pairs as that is what triples must start out as, yes? Sometimes you might manage to get 6 completed pairs before you managed to finish your triples. Likewise, you may be collecting pairs when first one and then, oops, 2 or your pairs became triples. Now you're only one away from all triples. So the key is to be flexible with your doubles and triples as they come and react in the way that the tiles seem most likely to keep coming.





Let's look at some examples.





All Triples ex.1


Round: East
Seat: South

That's a lot of work for maybe 2600 points


All Triples ex.2


Round: East
Seat: South

That's more like it, East round makes this an 8000 pointer

7 Pairs ex.1


Round: East
Seat: West

nothing special, maybe just 1600 points

7 Pairs ex.2


Round: East
Seat: North
Lucky Dragon: 1 of Dots

Let's say you declared Reach and drew your own winning tile and that it was the Lucky Dragon, that's 6 hand points bringing you to 12,000 real points!!

8 comments:

ASDF JKL; said...

Garthe,
I have to agree with you that the decision between "Chiitoitsu" (Seven Pairs) and "Toitoi" (All Triples) occur together.

For me in real life, I occasionally aimed to win with "Suu Ankou" (Four Concealed Triples) which is a whopping Yakuman hand, 32000/48000 points.

But instead, I seem to get more and more pairs, so I gave up and

A: broke up my existing Triple/s, declared "Riichi" and attempted to win with "Chiitoitsu" instead. The hand was then worth an absolute minimum 3 Fan 25 Fu = 3200/4800 points, very disappointing.

or B: chose to "Pon" any pairs possible and break up my other Pairs. I would just get the "Toitoi" (crappy minimum 2000/2900 points), and also "San ankou" (Three Concealed Triples)if I only had one open meld, making a Mangan hand (8000/12000) which is slightly more decent.

Unknown said...

im a big fan of 7pairs; its fun to have the power to make people miss a couple of turns if they start to form threatening looking hands by switching to pong hand.

chafor said...

Juste a little question if I got 7 paires and inside these I got 2x2bamboos, 2x3bamboos and 2x4bamboos, will I get 1 more yaku from it?

Anonymous said...

Good question Chafor, and definitely an oversight on my part. I neglected to caution you on some of the peculiarities of 7 Pairs.

Indeed that is one of them. The fact that it is not officially a "Mentsu" hand (meaning not triples or runs) means you can't get points for having runs that occur in your hand like the example you showed. 7 pairs that happen to contain 223344 in the same suit will not also get Double Run (Iipeko). Also, I haven't covered the Double Double Run (Ryanpeko) but it will also look like a 7 pairs hand. For some reason, it has been decided that this is not 7 pairs although I think that should be allowed because as it is, it's only a 3 point hand. It's extremely rare, so I think adding the 7 pair's 2 points to the hand would be a good way to make the hand more rewarding. Full Flush is 5/6 point hand and occurs much more frequently. But I digress.

Another thing you'll want to be careful about is quads. They do NOT count as two pairs. Even if you try to get tricky and split them up on different sides of your hand, someone is bound to notice when you go out and you'll lose points instead of winning them. So 4 of a kind melded or in your hand will preclude you from going for 7 pairs.

Anonymous said...

Now that I've addressed my oversight, let me talk to John on what is indeed one of my favorite subjects, Suu Anko (four concealed triples).

I had a hard time deciding what hands to put together in this column because like you point out, it's all three which can become one or the other. As always, there are lots of factors (current seat, current point situation, etc) which will affect my decision on which one to choose finally. If one of my pairs is Lucky Dragons I might be inclined to start bumping tiles early to make triples of my pairs especially if one of those lucky dragons comes out. The same goes for hands with a couple pairs of value tiles. Generally if I'm really going for it, I want to make sure my hand has at least a possibility of Mangan, 8000/12000 points.

But of course, it's always my dream find Four Triples in my hand so if I get to 2 triples and 3 pairs (one away from one away) I may still wait on bumping if one or even the last of one of my pairs comes out. I can never get enough Suu Ankou.

Anonymous said...

Gees, one more thing, there's a typo in my example of what might be a good wait. I said:

"players will think that because of the 4, you don't have 2-3 waiting for the 1 or 4 so that the 4 must be safe and they throw your winner"

That last "4" should have been "1". Players will think that because of the 4, the 1 must be safe and throw it. So 1 would be a good wait in this situation.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

doesn't the ryan pei ko get another hand point for completing a concealed ipeko?