Saturday, February 24, 2007

Gemma's Journal #7

February 24, 2007




Gemma's Journal #7



So I've been wondering what I should write about this week. Jenn suggested that I write about scoring, and I started trying to but then I realised I was still completely lost! It's the thing I'm currently working on but there are still quite a few holes in my understanding of it all. To be honest there doesn't seem to be much logic behind it at all! Well I shall persevere and you can expect an entry explaining the basics of scoring from me soon!



Hence I thought I would use this entry instead to clear up a few little loose ends in what I looked at already and then give you some puzzles to look at!



Apart from scoring this week I've also been trying to introduce Mahjong to some of my classmates. (blind leading the blind perhaps!) I think/hope that they had a good time and certainly a few of them seem quite enthusiastic to play more which must be a good sign.







Look at their confusion! I'm clearly a brilliant teacher!




Anyway, I'm hoping some of them will start reading and using this site so we can expand our community more!




Second thing I want to look at is a combination question of reach and quad. This was something I didn't consider when I was first writing my entries about these two but whilst I was playing ron2 the issue came up. I might not have mentioned explicitly that once you had reached it was possible to still declare a Concealed Quad because in most instances it wouldn't change your wait. But take a look at this hand:







The wait for this is 5 6 8 of Bams. However if you declare a Concealed Quad with the 7 of Bams, then your wait would become a 6 of bams
only. Because reach rules mean you can't change your wait you wouldn't be able to do this. Just something to watch for!




I also received an email from David who asked this question:




"One last question on the sacred discard/Missed Win, if you have a ready hand and you haven't Reach-ed, the only concern is for your own discards, you can pass up other discards from other players and it won't effect your hand (say you're waiting for a hand worth more points), However if you declare Reach you HAVE to take the first discard that will complete your hand, correct? The "sacred discard" doesn't expand into the other players' ENTIRE discards, only the tiles they discard AFTER you've declared Reach?"





This is something I want to pass onto Jenn. (sorry! Help us!)




>Jenn's Note: David has it right here! I'm going to use the term ‘Missed Win' for Sacred Discard and ‘Lost Hand' for hands that have fallen into the category. First of all, if ANY of your winning tiles are in your own discard pile, your hand is considered to be Lost Hand no matter what and your only winning option is by drawing the winning tile yourself. The following explanation will be regarding the times when your hand is not yet Lost.



When you have a Ready Hand and you have not Reached, you only have to worry about your own discards and any discards in the same turn that include your winning tile. If I discard a tile, then Gemma discards my winning tile and I let it go (don't win on it), then the Missed Win rule applies to me until after I have had another turn. Me having another turn means me discarding a tile (the taken tile can be drawn, Chowed, Bumped or quaded). If my turn gets skipped because of someone else Bumping or Chowing, I still cannot win on the river until after I have had a turn.



After Reaching, your own entire discard and all other players' discards after the Reach was declared determine your Missed Win. If any of your winning tiles are in those places, you have Missed your Win. You must win on the first winning tile that has come out on the river. If you don't, you have a Lost Hand until the end of the game and can only win on a Self-Drawn tile.



It is a confusing rule. If anyone can think of a simpler way to explain it, please comment! Back to Gem!




I haven't been able to find any other odd situations or peculiarities yet but email me if you can think of anything for me to add!



Right, this entry is going to be a little puzzle heavy. But I expect you to all be ready to learn/revise the scoring rules for next time! Especially so you can all help me!



I had some great emails as well with puzzles! (My job gets easier by the day!)



So this week's puzzles were created for me by John. Thank you!



Puzzle One:







What's the wait?




Puzzle Two:







And finally two questions for the more experienced players on the boards:



Question 3: This one is from Jenn.



Which would you discard and why?







Question 4: This was emailed to me from another beginner like myself and I think we'd all like to hear words of wisdom on this one!




"This whole "Missed Win" has always been one of the most confusing parts of the game for me. Besides a self-pick do you just have to give up in a situation like this? Or do you then go about changing your hand until all of your possibilities to go out are tiles you haven't discarded?"




So, if we realise we're foul of the ‘Missed Win' rule do we just pray that we'll pull it ourselves, or do we try to change our hands?



Well, I'm sorry that that has been a bit of a random entry with lots of added bits of other people's work and questions! Thank you very much everyone who emailed me. Some of the questions were really good which is why I decided to share them with everyone!



Tomorrow I'm off to Japan to spend the week with Jenn so I'll make up for this week with an extra special Japan entry! Wish me luck everyone!




If anyone else has some more puzzles that they think might be fun and interesting, please email them to me! Or maybe you had a really exciting hand last week and want to share it with us? I know I always get confused whilst playing as to what I might be waiting on, so I jot down my hand and then look at it at my leisure later. Anything like that then email me!




Or just send me fanmail! I like to feel loved! heehee

4 comments:

Unknown said...

fun post. I have the puzzles figured out but I don't want to spoil them :D

except for q3, since those are always fun to discuss.

the hand is looking messy to me. I think its so far from completion that it would be ok to toss the terminals and hopefully get some fresh tiles that will inspire. The 1-1-2 is ugly for obvious reasons; the wait on the 3 sucks, and so would opening up the hand if someone tossed the 1; you'd have a tough time fitting a han in if you pong'ed it. You could probably finish faster tossing the two and using the ones in a pong or the head if you never catch the last 1, keeping it concealed, but personally I'd rather toss the 1man. I'm sure a lot of people would toss the 1bam instead but I'd keep it for two rounds because 3chow step 3 in bams is still a remote possibility (like catching a 7 and 9 in bams while you are tossing the 1mans/2man; that would make it so you could chow a 2 and 8 for a han, tossing the 6man/6bam and using the 5mans for your head with the edge wait in dots).

I'm sure there are lots of nice things you could do with it, but regardless of what you catch it seems to me that the most obvious way to get a han in would be all-simples. On the way to getting that you might stumble across what I said above.

Anonymous said...

Question 4 : Pray or Repair

In all situations but two I wouldn't attempt to repair my hand.

Exception 1) Waiting to complete a pair.

X_ -> (exchange X for Y) -> Y_

Exception 2) If by pure luck, I draw from the wall the exact tile needed to convert my double sided Chow into a middle Chow.

_34_ (furiten because of 2)
-> (draw 6, discard 2) -> 4_6

Anonymous said...

Question 3) Which to discard first?

Instead of answering directly that question, I would ask myself which hand a can potential achieve with those tiles.

A) Tanyao (All Simple) is usually the easiest, fastest route, but not this time. It would require discarding the two 1 Grand (一一), the one 1 Bam (1) and be extremely lucky not to draw the 9 Dot (⑨) from the wall. Cannot be done, therefore no need to especially discard the 1's.

B) All Terminals. No, too much middle tiles. Would require discarding at least 7 tiles : 伍伍六4566

C) Almost enough pairs to consider making an All Pon (ToiToi) hand. However, wouldn't be wise to open the hand too soon, without at least trying D).

D) Pinfu (Peace) by converting the pairs into double sided Chows. Would maximize the chances of drawing useful tiles. Best solution right now. Still needs a pair. 一一二 is the only group of tiles that cannot become a double side Chow, therefore keep it as a pair and discard the 二. Still can revert to Toitoi at that point if lucky enough to draw tiles for more pairs or completing a Pon.

Conclusion) Aiming for :

一一 _伍六_ 1_34_56_ _⑦⑧_

gartheee said...

I like Walter's take on this one. It's not likely we're gonna be able to bump or chow tiles and still manage to have any hand points. So our best bet is to go for Peace, all runs. 556 characters and 78 dots have the open ended run draws so we want to hold on to them. The reason we should like the wait in the 134566 bamboos area better than the 112 in characters is because it'll be a lot easier to convert the bamboos to an open ended wait. A 4 5 or 7 will all make for open ended run draws. If another 1 or 5 characters or 6 bamboos, we can discard always discard the extra stuff like the 6 characters or the 1 bamboos and Reach.

Since no one has pointed out what the waits are, let's see if I can get em right without embarassing myself. Puzzle one will be the 147 and 6 of bamboos. This is easy to see if you take two of the bamboo 5's out for the head, then you see 23456 which is easy to see is waiting for the 147. Then if you seperate the 234 and 555, you can see that you're waiting for another 6 to form a head.

For puzzle two, things are a little more complicated. The wait is 2536 of characters. You can see this by seperating the 123 and then looking at what we can use to make a head. If we use two 4's then we'll have 34455 left over which is an easier to see 3 and 6 wait. Or if we use the two 5's for a head then we'll have 444 and 43 so we're waiting for the 25. Anyone see anything I missed.....?