Saturday, December 23, 2006

Gemma's Journal #1

A note from Jenn:


Let me introduce Gemma.



She is going to yell at me for using this picture (I am on the right, Gemma is on the left) because she likes to look precocious.

I asked her to write this Journal because when I taught her how to play Reach Mahjong this year (yes, she is my very first student! and I am very protective, so be careful!), I realized that it is tough to teach someone mahjong once it becomes routine for you. It is much easier if someone who is learning themselves explains it, because they know the exact questions that you will be asking as well. So, Gemma is responsible for telling you things that she has noticed, learned and is worried about.

Here is a brief background so you don't feel like strangers. She is from Tavistock, Devon, United Kingdom (don't worry, I never heard of it either). She already has 2 degrees: a BA in Japanese studies at the University of Sheffield and an MS in Chinese Language/Business and International Relations. That means she is way smarter than me (and probably Garthe too). She is very well-travelled, well-read and enjoys languages. One of her most favorite things to eat is Natto (just kidding, she apparantely can't stand it). She likes Pearl Tea, is a wine drinker and likes mochi. When she isnt playing mahjong,she said she likes to "wind up my brother" and kill cockroaches, which she hates.
So enjoy!




December 23, 2006





Gemma's Journal #1


Well my first time playing Mahjong and it doesn't seem so difficult - well at least not as difficult as Amy Tan made it out to be! Reminds me mostly of Rummi, having to make sets or runs to create a hand, just with lots of pieces of plastic rather than fifty two cards!


So far I've learnt that to create a hand you have to make a hand that consists of four groups or runs, plus one pair. (Groups are three of a kind; runs are three tiles of sequential numbers of the same suits.)


Maybe to make my point clearer it would be best to use some examples:


That would be a hand of all runs and one pair.


That would be a hand of all groups and one pair.



That's a hand with a mix of runs and groups.

However, I have been warned that not all these hands are necessarily worth hand points and therefore won't win you a game! This is just the basic rule you need to follow to create a hand. All of us are beginners so we haven't been worrying too much about hand points this time, but Jenn threatens next week to start teaching us the hands. I'm suspecting that this initial feeling of understanding is going to be quickly undermined with hands to learn and scoring systems. (I have an absolutely terrible memory!)


Apart from that building the wall is also not half as bad as I anticipated (blame Amy Tan again!) although I do keep knocking down parts of the wall as I pull tiles for my go, so if nothing else at least this game might improve my hand-eye coordination!


It was really enjoyable though and I'm looking forward to next week even if mixed with a little apprehension that my brain won't be able to cope!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, it takes me back. The joy of learning.

Good to finally "meet" you Gemma! I'm looking forward to watching your journey from neophyte to seasoned dragon.

A word of warning on your goals though. If anything, I think the game may actually hasten deterioration of hand-eye coordination. After 6 years, I still end up throwing tiles all over the place, and it's not just because I keep losing.

Good luck!! And post on!!

Anonymous said...

Gemma, I have partially solved my hand-eye coordination problem by not wearing loose shirts with long cuffs. This way, I don't knock down parts of the wall each time I reach for a tile across the table. I still do, clumsy me, but at least not as often. I even bought special pants, with big pockets in front, to hold my poker chips when I meet friends in very crowded cafes.

Gemma said...

hehe!

I see that my new hobby is going to require a new wardrobe! I'm always looking for an excuse anyway!

Thank you for reading!

Anonymous said...

I have not merit, since reading is the fun and easy part. It is definitively me who should thank you for sharing your experience.

Respectfully, <(_ _)>

Walter

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that we have reached the point where technology has become one with our world, and I think it is safe to say that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory gets less expensive, the possibility of transferring our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could see in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://knol.google.com/k/anonymous/-/9v7ff0hnkzef/1]r4i dsi[/url] DS TF3)

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.