Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Jenn's Corner #11

April 10, 2007




Jenn's Corner #11


Hello everyone! It's Jenn. I got tired of waiting for Garthe to write his column (he is currently in the US, working on some other stuff), so I will take his place and post his next column. I know you would rather read about me anyway (^.^)




So the new Mahjong year has started and there is a lot to look forward to this month! First of all, JPML's first League session of the year took place this past weekend and I finished in the black with 7.9 points, putting me in a tie for 31st place out of 71, so just 4 more sessions to stay ahead of the game if I want to move up a league next season. Garthe had to miss the first session and take a penalty, so he is in the red right now...

The first game I did horribly. I was not concentrating properly; I was playing my hands badly and worse, reading the board badly. I took a few minutes after the first game to reflect on my play and I was able to regroup and take 1st place in the next 2 games. I took a negative 2nd place in the 4th game, but it was enough to have the highest score at my table. About 20 people or so will move up from D2 to D1 this season, so if I can keep my composure for the rest of the season, I really do think that I have a chance this time!




The JPML League has 9 levels: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2, C3, D1, and D2. Almost everyone starts at D2 and has to work their way up. You can only move up once each season for leagues B1-D2 and once a year for the A leagues. There are 2 seasons of 5 months each year. Garthe and I, starting last year, are still in D2 League. By normal routes, you can see that the quickest anyone could make it to A1 and a chance at winning the Phoenix Cup is 5 or 6 years. That's a long time for a good player to wait and not have any bad days... But, this year JPML announced a new special league to allow young players to move up faster, making the playing field more fair and competitive based on good performance.




JPML's Special Advancement League invites players under the age of 40 who have participated in JPML's 4 big tournaments (Pro League, Masters, 10-Tier and OUI) to fight for a spot in a higher League if they have: moved up one league by their own ability in the previous season, made it to the final table in Champion's League, got 1st or 2nd place in the annual Rookie Tourney, won the Pro Queen Tourney, made it to the final table in Masters, 10-Tier or OUI tournaments, or place first in a regional league. In addition, they must end in the black for the current League season and may not miss any League sessions for the current season.


It is a strict set of conditions, but for a chance to move up 5 levels or so it seems a small price to pay and many people are participating. So yes, I will also work to move up this season so that next season I might fight for a chance to up my status the "easy" way.




One of the biggest news items this month is that JPML tournaments are now all non-smoking. Or so it may seem... Actually, players currently involved in a game and spectators must refrain from smoking. Players in between games and players at tables that are finished with games are allowed to smoke to their hearts' content, so the parlor still ends up smoky. But, if a player wants to smoke between games, they must get permission from the other players at the table. I personally ask them to go outside (nicely of course)...




Also, Mahjong Fight Club 6 is finally in arcades all over Japan! You can check out the website (in Japanese) here and see pictures of Garthe and I here. The new version has added a Competition Rules option, so now players can play a more skill-based game using JPML's A-Rules. Just like the Pro League except for the dealer has to win a hand to continue as dealer and cannot continue if he has a Ready hand on a draw.




The Ron2 translation is coming along. Garthe and I are doing our part and are working hard with the administrator to get a game to you as soon as possible! I can't wait to see you all there!!




Now, I have to get ready for my own trip to Vegas to teach Mahjong and also work on my poker skills. If anyone will be in the Vegas area in the next 2 weeks, send me an e-mail and Garthe and I will be happy to set up a time to play Mahjong together!!





Now, just for kicks, here is a hand that I had during the 3rd game on Sunday:







The Drag is 8 of Bams. What would you discard and why? Also, after you discarded, what tiles would you be waiting for? As dealer, how many points is your hand worth on a river win? How about a self-draw? Do you think this hand is worth Reaching in a game with no First-turn win, Quad Drags or Hidden Drag bonuses?





To post comments to this column, click here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I+m very interested in JPML, and I would like to join one day. I have to work more on my game and brush up on my japanese! What is this test you take to join (or is it top secret, or something). I wanted to ask few things that I was interested. I've just started to read your blogs recently, so you might think that my questions are more appropriate for older posts (and I probably spelled appropriate wrong). About the bonuses for akapai in paurlors - OK the bonus is 100 yen, but who pays the 100 yen to the winner (maybe discarder, but then what in the case of tsumo), and the same question about yakuman bonus, and those the bonus increase if dealer wins. And who pays to whom the yakitori penalty.Do you use that rule where : player A discards, player B kans his discard and wins on a draw from dead wall, then player A is concidered the discarder. And last thing: what do you think about cancelling riichi if someone rons on the tile you declared it on. Keep up the good work (you all look very young, how old are you guys?)... Bye

ASDF JKL; said...

The hand is 12333445668 RRR

If you say "Reach" on your next discard, you could do the following:

1. Discard 1, Your hand is now 2333445668 RRR, you are waiting for a 7 Bamboo only. If you win by Ron, it is "Reach" + "Yakuhai" (Red Dragon Triple) + "Honitsu" (Half Flush)+ 1 Dora (lucky drag) = 6 Fan = Haneman 12000/18000 points. With Tsumo, add an extra Fan for "Menzen Tsumo" (Fully Concealed hand), which is a total of 7 Fan, still Haneman.

2. Discard the 8 Bam, your hand is 1233344566 RRR, you are waiting on a 2 or 5 Bam. By Ron, it is "Reach" + "Yakuhai" + "Honitsu" = 5 Fan = Mangan 8000/12000 points.
With Tsumo, add 1 more fan to make it 6 Fan = Haneman 12000/18000 points.
If you won with the 5 Bam, you'll also get 1 more Fan for "Iiepikou" (Double Sequence/Run), which makes it 7 Fan = Haneman still.

I would personally discard the 8 Bam so I have more choices for winning, even if the lowest win is 5 Fan, not 6.

Unknown said...

zeka,

Hey how are you?!
I'm so glad that you are interested in JPML! Where are you living right now?

In order to join a professional mahjong league in Japan, you do have to take a test. It is all in Japanese and includes a written test and also a small tournament for all of the people taking the test.

You are welcome to ask any questions on this blog at any time!

For a 50-yen rate game, the bonus for red 5's is 100 yen, higher rates pay more. If the hand is won on someone else's discard, the person who discarded pays the bonus. If the hand is won on a draw, everyone has to pay 100 yen, tripling the prize!

With Limit hands, usually the bonus is 1000 yen for a river-win (off someone else's discard) and 500 each, for 1500 yen for a self-drawn win.

You're right about the quad rule... On an open quad that leads to a King's Tile win, the discarder of the tile that was quaded has to take responsibility for the win in many situations.

If someone declares Mahjong on my Reached tile, then I don't have to pay the extra 1000-pt bet for my Reach. I think this is a good rule because in the normal order of things, you discard before putting the Reach bone out. Hehe. That doesn't seem like much of a reason huh? I'll look it up and write a column about these specific rules in the future!

Gemma and I are in our 20's and Garthe is in his 30's. Is that specific enough? hehe


john,

Great idea. I actually ended up throwing the 4 of bams, did not declare Reach and won on the 7 of bams in the next round, but I wish I had thought it through a little bit more. I was dealer and I got 12,000 points for my hand. There was already one 5 of bams out, so I unforunately chose the 3-outer instead of the 5-outer.

Another idea would be to throw the 4-bams and declare Reach with it, making the 7-bams look relatively safe because the 5-6 waiting for 4-7 would be eliminated...

Anonymous said...

Hi again! Tanks so much for answering every single question.
I'm from Croatia (well from croatian part of Bosnia and Herzegovina).There are no mahjong players here exept my group which I tought to play. Well thanks again. Bye