Saturday, May 12, 2007

Jenn's Corner #12

May 12, 2007




Jenn's Corner #12: Simple Update



As updates to the page have slowed down a little bit, our pace in the columns section has seemed to slow a bit too. I'm trying to stay on everyone's cases, but I suppose it is inevitable with a staff (are non-paid members still considered staff?) as small as ours that things will start to take more time. That is not to say, however, that we are all not still working hard everyday to get Reach Mahjong out in the world and in English.




I am always searching out and creating updates for the Glossary, which I have Garthe and Gemma check before I post. Expect another update coming soon and the one after that is already in the works. I understand that there are a lot of people who play Reach Mahjong that already know most of the terms for the game in Japanese. I think, however, that for new players coming in, it is easier to remember how to play a game if you don't have to learn an entire new vocabulary, so we are making appropriate English terms for each word. It might be a little tiresome for long-time players, so I encourage you to use whichever words are comfortable for you, as you have been, in comments and postings. If you feel like you can take a go at the English words too, more power to you. If anyone has questions, we will soon have the cross-referenced glossary up as well (Japanese->English), so it should be easy for anyone to look up an unfamiliar term and associate it to the tongue you know.




I know everyone is waiting for the RonRon translation. I am as well. It is a huge task and I will continue to mention it in every column until it is ready! Someone keep track!




The biggest happening in JPML last month was definitely the Masters tournament. Garthe was able to make it back to Tokyo for the event and advanced as far as the main event, but I was stuck in the U.S. and had to opt-out this year. This weekend is the 2nd session of JPML's regular league, so I am planning on increasing my current 7.9 point score. Garthe will try to sweep up to the black from the penalty I mentioned last time.




Later this month is JPML's 10-Tier Tournament.

I'm sure that some savvy readers out there know about the "Dan" or level system in many Japanese sports and games. JPML has this as well. As Garthe and I are still new to the league, we are the 1st Level, or "ShoDan". The highest level is 9. In the Tokyo branch of JPML, there are currently six Level 9, three Level 8, three Level 7, 5 Level 6, six Level 5, twenty-four Level 4, 33 Level 3, 52 Level 2 and 106 First-Level members. There is one more Level 9 member up in Hokkaido. Every 6 months, players are allowed to move up a level if they have earned enough "Level Points" by participating in and showing good performance in tournaments. The levels are supposed to represent skill, dedication, pride and status.

JPML's 10-Tier Tournament starts out with the First-Levels. There are so many this year, that there will be 2 First-Level sessions on May 19th. Each player plays 4 games at the same table. After 4 games, the 2 players that have earned the most points will advance and the other 2 players will be eliminated. The remaining players join the Level 2 players in the afternoon and the same system is invoked. The 2 people from each table that advance after that will join the Level 3 and Level 4 players on the 20th, and the winners from there will play in June with the higher Levels. This is obviously a JPML member-only and it is quite grueling with the semi-finals in July and then the finals in August.




JPML's second Womens League season starts this month as well. I will be participating even though I will have to miss one session in June so that I can go watch the European Open in Denmark (I will not be participating).




This turned out to be a very boring column, but check out Michi Yuuki's interview on our website! That has got to be a lot more interesting!

No comments: