Thursday, July 26, 2007

Gemma's Journal #13

July 26, 2007




Gemma's Journal #13


So this will be my final scoring post - Answers to the last post!
Unfortunately this has required a lot (probably too much) thinking on my part!


Remember to work out the hand points first and then if it’s less than four you’ll have to work out the troublesome base points!


(Also I think I’m using a slightly simplified scoring table for beginners.)


Question One


Seat = East


Self Drawn






Hand points


One for double run
Two for three coloured run
One for closed self draw


Total = 4


Hurrah no need to count base points!


12,000



Question Two


Seat = North


Won off of someone else's discard






Hand points


One drag
One set of dragons
Two for three concealed Trips


Total = Four hand points


Hurrah! We don’t have to work out base points!


8,000



Question Three


Seat = South


Won off of someone else's discard






(In this one I didn’t show the hidden drag… oops! Let’s just pretend we weren’t using that rule!


Hand points


One for Peace hand
One drag
One for reach


Total = 3 hand points


We don’t have to work out base points for a peace hand either (hurrah!) so 3,900




That was quite sneaky of me to construct hands that didn’t use base points. (I did intend for Question One to need base points but I managed to construct a much better hand than I had intended originally.


I hope I got those correct! Someone should check for me! (^v^)


Another short post! Jenn and Garthe are really upstaging me. I have a fantastic post planned next. Well… when I say fantastic I mean fantastic if you, like me, HATE the all-pair hand. I want to take a closer look at it and see all the things I manage to do wrong with it. So start thinking about the strategies you have for the all-pair hand and hopefully we can have a discussion.



Also, if you’re not already registered on yakitori.com/, go and do so right this second! Been having great fun with the people over there discussing Mahjong and they’re so friendly, even to foolish beginners like myself, so please come and join in the fun!

4 comments:

Archon_Wing said...

Unfortunately you still have to count base points for 4 fan/30 points or less. The first hand is self draw on a closed hand and doesn't get 10 extra points (that's ron on a closed hand which is not pinfu and will always be more than 30 base points and counting base points is not needed in that case). So 20 + 2 for self draw +2 a pair of dragons +2 pts for middle wait. Round up to 30 points, and with 4 fan it's 11700.

Anonymous said...

Darn, too fast for me, Archon!

It's duly noted in Jenn's scoring chart, but just so I can throw in my two cents, one note about that scoring situation: most Mahjong parlors in Japan will round up to 4000 points each in that situation. 4 hand points will almost always be "mangan", meaning it's rounded up to the 12000 or 8000 for the dealer or non-dealer. The only time it isn't is when the hand involves both Peace AND Concealed Self Draw and that is the only situation where there are only 20 base points in the hand.

In fact, the only place I've ever played that doesn't round up in that situation is our Pro league. It's one of the places where I think the rules are just too unnecessarily complicated though if you figure the score from the formula, those are the numbers you'll end up computing.

Anonymous said...

congrats on the great blog! I'm sure it will inspire scared beginners to have a go

cheers
Jade

Anonymous said...

I think that the link you were trying to share was supposed to be to yakitorionline.com.